A Beta Reader reads an author’s manuscript before it is sent to an editor and offers constructive criticism about the story, characterization, dialogue, and potential plot holes, etc. It is for when your manuscript is in its final stages before release. Though beta reading does not necessarily require a finalized manuscript, it is helpful. Beta reading does not include any editing or proofreading.
Why do you need one?
Authors need Beta Readers to look at their work from a fresh perspective, and help improve their masterpiece. Their main role is to read a book before it is published and provide critical feedback regarding the plot, characters, writing style, and other things that'll help improve your book.
Why do I want to be your Beta Reader?
I've loved reading since as bar back as I can remember. I always used to think how cool it would be if I could get paid for doing something that I love, so why not?
Why hire me?
I am an avid reader since very early childhood, gobbling up almost any reading material I could find.
I've been reviewing books of a variety of genres here on DDE and Goodreads, since 2011 (more actively since 2013). I was also the Head Student Editor of the annual school magazine for the last two years of my school, and have won a few English spelling, vocabulary and creative writing competitions as well during the time.
I'm not a scaredy cat about issuing my opinions. But I don't believe in being rude or demeaning either. I always offer polite feedback and mention what I like/don't like and why. You can look through some of my recent reviews to see what I mean.
What you can expect from me
- Read your story as if it were a published book, and offer my detailed honest feedback. I won't exactly look for things like grammatical errors or typos in the manuscript, but I will point it out to you if I notice a considerable amount of such errors.
- Offer constructive criticism about characterization, dialogue, pacing, and look for plot inconsistencies.
- Try to work within your time frame or give you a reasonable estimate as to how long I will need to finish reading the manuscript and prepare a feedback report (yes, a detailed one).
- Provide this in-depth feedback in a written document.
I will not...
- Publicly post the feedback that I offer. Beta Reading is different from a public review. I do not accept any form of payment for writing reviews, and never will.
- Offer suggestions that take away your “voice” as an author.
- Attempt to rewrite your work for you.
- Copy edit or proofread your story. That is not what a Beta Reader does.
- Coddle you. I will be honest and unbiased, and will provide you with an objective feedback of your work.
$0.002 per word (with a $10 minimum).
For example, a 20,000 word novella would be $40. A 5,000 word short story would be $10. A 2,000 word short story would be $10 because it falls below the minimum. I use PayPal and will send you an invoice for half the payment before I begin work. Prior to delivery of the final detailed feedback, I will send an invoice for the balance.
Each read through is comprehensive and complete. The rates are on a per draft basis. This means if the author reworks the same story and wants an opinion on the new draft, another fee will be charged. All prices mentioned are in USD (US Dollars).
The turnaround time will generally depend on the length of the manuscript.
Children's Picture Book/Graphic Novel = 1 week
20,000 to 39,999 words = 1 to 2 weeks
40,000 to 59,999 words = 1 to 3 weeks
60,000+ words = 1 to 4 weeks
But of course I'll keep any deadline you have into consideration and will get back to you with the final feedback within that time frame. Just ask. Let me know by when you need me to finish, and I'll try to mark it as the deadline.
To request a Beta Read, please fill in the form below.
Send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with the genre, word count, a basic summary of your manuscript and your desired turnaround time (if different from that mentioned above). I accept all genres except erotica.
Please place “Beta Reading” in the subject line so it does not get sent to spam by accident. I’ll respond ASAP and we can discuss the project further.
If you are an indie/self-publishing author and desperately need proofreading / beta reading but cannot afford my rates, please talk to me and we'll work something out. As I said before, this is something I do because I love to – I am willing to be flexible in certain situations, since many of my favorite authors are self-published, and I just love you guys!
So just shoot me an email at: email@example.com
Happy reading (and writing)!